View of the lighthouse from the shore at Cana Island, Baileys Harbor, Door County, WI
Outbuildings at Cana Island, Baileys Harbor, Door County, WI
The original Plum Island Lighthouse was built in 1848 but was moved to Pilot Island some years later. The Plum Island range lights were constructed in 1896 and first lit the following year. The lights are located on the southern end of the island, the Front Light to the east, the Rear Range Light about a third of a mile to the west. These lights guide sailors safely from Lake Michigan through this sometimes difficult passage into Green Bay. The Rear Range Light consists of a tubular and skeletal shaped tower sixty-five feet tall. A spacious two-story keeper's dwelling and a fog signal building stand nearby.' The present Front Range Light is a modern metal skeletal forty-foot tower built in the 1960s.